Some graffiti found in Pompeii’s ruins:
- Weep, you girls. My penis has given you up. Now it penetrates men’s behinds. Goodbye, wondrous femininity!
- Restituta, take off your tunic, please, and show us your hairy privates.
- I screwed the barmaid.
- Apollinaris, the doctor of the emperor Titus, defecated well here.
- I screwed a lot of girls here.
- Sollemnes, you screw well!
- Theophilus, don’t perform oral sex on girls against the city wall like a dog.
Nice to see nothing has changed.
absolutely nothing has changed
Retweeting again for the joy of Pompeiian graffiti. God, what their texts and tweets would have been like…
tell me one more time how history is dull I dare you
“Lovers are like bees in that they live a honeyed life”
I was in Pompeii a few years ago, and indeed there’s a lot of this around. In fact, our tour guide (a really fun and interesting guy) showed us some of the few interesting buildings there, including one (of MANY) places that back then would solicit sex, filled with rooms with stone benches and beds where you could have a “good time”. He compared it to a Burger King, because as he showed us, there were images above the doorways displaying what you could “buy” and you’d point and choose what you wanted as if it were a menu. There also was a lot of phallic imagery, not just in graffiti, but in the decor of the buildings, furniture and even paved of the streets.
Isn’t history interesting?